The usage of the part of the Trans-Caspian International Transport Route (TITR), also known as the Middle Corridor, that passes through Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, and Turkmenistan will be accelerated, Rovshan Rustamov, Chairman of Azerbaijan Railways CJSC told Report.

Rustamov highlighted that the overarching goal is to enhance the overall effectiveness of the Middle Corridor, with a specific focus on the Central Asian market. He also mentioned upcoming visits to Uzbekistan and Tajikistan.

The chairman underlined that the Middle Corridor has already seen completed works in Kazakhstan, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Türkiye, resulting in efficient transportation along that route. However, the Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, and Turkmenistan segment remains relatively underdeveloped and less active.

“Additionally, plans are in place to construct the China-Kyrgyzstan-Uzbekistan railway line. China’s substantial investment in this project aims to facilitate the movement of cargo from China through Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and ultimately by sea to Europe. By establishing this alternative route, China seeks to complement existing transportation options via Kazakhstan and Russia,” he stated.

The China-Kyrgyzstan-Uzbekistan railway project is estimated to cost a total of $4.7 billion. China will cover 51% of the project costs and provide a $2.3 billion loan. Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan are responsible for financing the remaining 49%, with each country investing $783 million.