As he continues to trade verbal jabs with Tehran, US President Donald Trump issued a fresh barrage of threats on Monday, vowing to meet any provocation with “great force” while calling Iran “No.1 provocateur of terror.”
“We’ll see what happens, but they’ve been very hostile, they’ve truly been the number one provocateur,” Trump told reporters as he was departing for a campaign rally in Montoursville, Pennsylvania.
Also on rt.com Iran announces four-fold increase in uranium enrichment
Washington has been “has been very much involved” in the situation with Iran – cranking up sanctions, sending over its military might and threatening war, – “because we are trying to help a lot of people out,” Trump said.
As rhetoric between the US and Iranian governments heated up in the last few days, cautious voices have been pointing out the potentially devastating consequences of an all-out war between the US and the Islamic Republic and the impact it could have on the region, including war-ravaged Iraq.
While neither of the sides appear to favor that prospect, at least publicly, Trump added fuel to his war-mongering rhetoric promising to fend off any potential provocation from Iran “with great force.”
However, asked if he had a reason to believe that such a provocation is imminent, Trump admitted that there is nothing to suggest that.
“We have no indication that anything is happening or will happen, but if it does, it will be met, obviously, with great force. We’ll have no choice,” Trump said.
Having earlier on Monday refuted media reports that the US seeks talks with Iran, Trump insisted that the ball is in Iran’s court and that it is the Islamic Republic that will have to reach out to the US.
“If they call, we will certainly negotiate, but this is going to be up to them. I only want them to call if they are ready, if they are not ready, they don’t have to bother,” the US president said. (RT)