At least 49 people were killed when a major blaze ripped through a residential building housing foreign workers in Kuwait, the Interior Ministry said Wednesday, Report informs via foreign media.

“The number of deaths as a result of the fire in the workers’ building in the Mangaf area has risen to 49,” the ministry said.

Interior Minister Sheikh Fahad Al-Yousuf Al-Sabah had earlier put the toll as 41 and ordered the arrest of the building’s owner during a visit to the site, local media reported.