The UN’s health body has pushed back against attempts in the US to scapegoat it for the Covid-19 pandemic. Officials denied being ‘China-centric,’ and said defunding it, as Donald Trump has threatened, would hardly be timely now.

“We are still in the acute phase of a pandemic so now is not the time to cut back on funding,” Hans Kluge, the regional director for Europe at the World Health Organization (WHO), told a virtual briefing on Wednesday.

Several US politicians, starting with the president himself, have accused the WHO of botching its response to the coronavirus by failing to advocate travel bans and other drastic measures in time. The US is the health body’s biggest donor, contributing over $400 million to its coffers last year. (RT)