Armenian President Armen Sarkissian’s statement that citizens of other countries of Armenian origin are fighting and can fight in Nagorno-Karabakh clashes is an open violation of international law, the Turkish government said.

Thus, the Armenian authorities indirectly admit that they violate international law, the Turkish government said.

“Regardless of nationality, no citizen of one country can fight on the territory of another country, especially if these are the occupied territories, ” the Turkish government said.

The Turkish government noted that Sarkissian tries to explain this by the fact that Armenians allegedly take part in hostilities in order to prevent a repetition of the events of 1915.

“We repeat once again that Sarkissian’s statement implies a gross violation of international law, and the participation of citizens of other countries in the military conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh is of a criminal nature”.

Armenian President Armen Sarkissian admitted to the fact that Armenians from different countries are taking part in battles in Nagorno-Karabakh on Oct.1.

Sarkissian made the statement while on the air of Al Jazeera TV .

“They are ethnic Armenians and there is nothing wrong with the fact that they are fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh, despite them being citizens of different countries. We admit the participation of Armenians from different countries in the hostilities at the frontline,” he said.

Armenian Armed Forces launched a large-scale military attack on positions of the Azerbaijani army on the front line, using large-caliber weapons, mortars, and artillery on Sept. 27.

Azerbaijan responded with a counter-offensive along the entire front. As a result of retaliation, Azerbaijani troops managed to liberate the territories previously occupied by Armenia: Garakhanbeyli, Garvend, Kend Horadiz, Yukhari, Ashagi Abdulrahmanli villages (Fuzuli district), Boyuk Marjanli, and Nuzgar villages (Jabrayil district).

Moreover, the positions of the Armenian Armed Forces were destroyed in the direction of Azerbaijan’s Agdere district and Murovdag, important heights were taken under control.

Military actions continued on Sept. 29. Azerbaijani army was able to destroy several tanks of the Armenian Armed Forces, as well as several key military facilities.

Azerbaijan’s Dashkesan district underwent fire on the same day from the opposing forces, while Azerbaijani Armed Forces continued military actions on Sept. 29 to liberate the city of Fuzuli from occupation.

According to a statement from Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry, the Armenian armed forces have suffered heavy losses along the entire front line from Sept. 27 through Sept. 30, including tanks, armored vehicles, artillery installations, rocket launch systems, as well as command and observation posts, air defense systems, etc.

Back in July 2020, the Armenian Armed Forces violated the ceasefire in the direction of Azerbaijan’s Tovuz district. As a result of Azerbaijan’s retaliation, the opposing forces were silenced. The fighting continued the following days as well. Azerbaijan lost a number of military personnel members, who died fighting off the attacks of the Armenian armed forces.

The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts.

The 1994 ceasefire agreement was followed by peace negotiations. Armenia has not yet implemented four UN Security Council resolutions on the withdrawal of its armed forces from Nagorno Karabakh and the surrounding districts.